Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Meredith Does D.C.



Aug. 15, 2006

Back to work this week after a relaxing fun-filled weekend with Sissy, who came up on Saturday morning to hang out for a couple days. Upon arrival, we headed over to our beloved Carlyle in Shirlington for Saturday brunch. Chris and I go there almost once a week for dinner, and have done so for the last year; and so now we are moving on to the brunch, which is as delicious as I had dreamed. I got the grilled trout; Chris got the filet and Eggs Benedict; Meredith kept it real with French Toast.

After brunch, Chris met up with his buddy Ryan Gates, who needed his help in moving some furniture before his impending move to Chicago. He has since left :( Mer and I headed over to Old Town Alexandria, and then Pentagon City to do a little shopping. We met back up with Chris around 5 for a happy hour before going to my friend Melissa's engagement BBQ. Mer introduced me to cherry vodka and Sprite, which was really good. However, I had introduced myself to sugar-free Red Bull and vodka, and that became my new fave. We grew hungry and didn't think we could wait for the BBQ so we grilled some steaks out on the porch. Chris had a hell of a time getting the grill to stay lit; at one point there was a fireball so big our neighbor came out to check on us! But no worries, we got it lit and enjoyed some yummy sirloins before heading over to Mel's.

We hung out at the BBQ for a bit where I got to see my erstwhile work buddy Lauren Davis and her hubby Jake, and then we headed over to Clare and Don's in Clarendon for a little Karaoke. Mer and I dueted on Captain and Tennille's Love Will Keep Us Together, Whitney Houston's I Wanna Dance With Somebody, and later joined my colleague Davis White on a lively rendition of Meat Loaf's Paradise By the Dashboard Light. Ain't no doubt about it, we were doubly blessed! (But we were fully dressed.) All partied out and Karaoke over, we headed home around 2.

Sunday, Mer and I enjoyed a *beautiful* day by the Fairlington pool. Crystal blue sky and frequent breezes to keep you cool. It was perfect. Chris took the opportunity to get in a good ride, as he is 1/3 of a triathlon team competing in September. Once Mer and I tired of the pool around 3, we went home and watched Rent until Chris got back. The plan for the evening was to go to Georgetown for dinner so we began to shower and get ready, and headed out for dinner around 7. We took the GW Parkway so Mer could see the monuments and bridges that line the Potomac, which was seasonally active with jet-skiers and boaters. We scored a great parking spot on M St. and walked down to Washington Harbour, then on to eat. The restaurant we wanted (Sea Catch) was closed so we ended up at Paper Moon Restaurant right across the street. Seven out of 10 stars. It definitely hit the spot but I don't think any of us were blown away by our meals, particularly Mer who is indeed a pasta afficionado. After showing Mer the Exorcist Steps on M St., we were all a bit tuckered out from the night before and had to work the next day, so we made it an early night back at the apartment.

Mer, we had such a fun time, and cannot wait for you to come up again soon :)

K

No comments: